Review: Maybelline Color Tattoo Metallic Pomegranate

November 15, 2013

Aaah, Maybelline Color Tattoos... the product that was hyped about months and months ago by pretty much every blogger I came across. As usual with these kind of things, I jumped on the bandwagon much later than everyone else and purchased this shade, Metallic Pomegranate, back in September. Although saying that, this particular shade was cropping up all over blogs at the beginning of autumn, so perhaps with this I'm actually not behind at all! However, this is the first and only shade I own at the moment. I have used this eyeshadow a few times now so I can give you a full review!

Maybelline Color Tattoo Metallic Pomegranate review swatch photo

Being so popular, I'm sure that if you're reading this that you know all about the Color Tattoos, and maybe even have a few yourself. So, I won't go into too much detail but this is basically a gel-cream eyeshadow, that claims to wear for 24 hours and have incredible pigmentation. In the range there are twelve shades, ranging from neutrals to brights and seemingly everything in between. This is a deep burgundy shade that leans slightly purple in the tub, but on the skin it lends itself to being slightly more brown in tone - the colour you see in the packaging isn't quite what you get. This was a bit of a disappointment but it is a beautiful, wearable shade nonetheless. The packaging itself is a fairly standard glass tub with a black lid; it is nice and weighty however so it feels more expensive than it actually is.

Maybelline Color Tattoo Metallic Pomegranate review swatch photo

Being a shimmer formula I was conscious of potential glitter fallout or any feeling of roughness, but I have not found this to be the case. It feels and applies completely smooth, and the shimmer is just enough to make a statement, without it becoming a glitter fest. I found the easiest way to apply this is with my finger; dotting it onto the eyelid and then blending it out. Applying with a brush was okay, but I found that it lifted more product off than it blended - using a crease brush to blend into that area was fine, but across the eyelid didn't work out so well. It was actually easier to blend than I was expecting, but I would advise working on one eye at a time, because it dries fairly quickly and once it's dry, it doesn't budge!

Maybelline Color Tattoo Metallic Pomegranate review swatch photo

The swatch you see above is with two layers applied, and I have to admit that I am impressed with the pigmentation. Being able to build to this intensity in two layers means that this can be worn sheered out across the lid for the day time and applied more densely for a bolder look for night; it's surprisingly versatile and easy to build. As for the lasting power... well, I certainly haven't tested it's claim for 24 hour wear, but with my usual primer it lasts all evening, with minimal creasing or wearing away. I have oily lids so I was expecting this to be a creased, unsightly mess within a couple of hours, but I have managed a good 8 hours before a hint of creasing occurred. Pretty impressive I think! All in all, I am a big fan of this Color Tattoo and need more shades adding to my collection as soon as possible... I'm thinking that Permanent Taupe and Pink Gold are going to be next on my list!

Final verdict: An inexpensive cream eyeshadow, that offers a fantastic long-wearing formula in a beautiful autumnal shade. Even if you think that cream eyeshadows aren't for you, give one of these a go - I promise that you will be a convert!

Maybelline Color Tattoos (Including Metallic Pomegranate) are available from Boots, Superdrug and feelunique.com for £4.99.

 

Related Posts

2 comments

  1. This is gorgeous - I haven'y tried any of these yet, hope santa brings me some! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully he will - fingers crossed! ;) x

      Delete