Birchbox January 2013

January 23, 2013

Out with the old, in with the new... JolieBox is no more! I for one am a little sad to see it go, as up until the end there were some fantastic boxes that would be hard to beat. However, I am looking forward to seeing what Birchbox holds in store for us over the coming months, and there are already some changes that I am excited by. Click the link to find out about the all new Birchbox for 2013!



Let's start off with the box itself! I really like the box design - clean, simple and to the point. It's made out of cardboard which in itself is left untreated, so at the moment it's standing out amongst the other beauty boxes. The pink edging and logo are a pink metallic finish, which stands out really well amongst the cardboard. The box is the same size as the JolieBoxes were but feels slightly more lightweight.


Included in the box this month were a few tidbits, including an all-new Birchbox magazine. I think I prefer this version to JolieBox's - I can't quite put my finger on it, but I feel that it is an improvement somehow. There is also a menu card, similar to before but with an entirely new design. Also included was a card that basically welcomes you to Birchbox, and explains how the new box works in a "Birchbox 101" style. I was glad to see that they still kept the drawstring bag from JolieBox, although it is now bright pink and emblazoned with the Birchbox logo. For the first box there are four samples, a beauty extra and lifestyle extra, which are Fresh Sugar Rose Lip Treatment, KMS California Free Shape Quick Blow Dry Spray, WEI Jujube Age Control Serum, Wild Romantic Body Butter, I Coloniali Deep Body Massage Cream and Teapigs.


This was the product in the box that intrigued me! For all intents and purposes, it is an intense lip balm that has a buildable tint. From the name, I was expecting something like a lip scrub to buff away dead skin, but this is completely smooth. I am very impressed with it though - I have tried it out over the last couple of days and it does leave my lips feeling impressively smooth, with just a hint of colour.


KMS California... Oh was I happy to see this brand in a box again! They have featured in JolieBox previously and I was super impressed with their Hot Flex Spray. This is a conditioning and detangling treatment that helps to dry hair quicker. Again, I have already tried this and I absolutely love it - it just works so well, without weighing down my hair at all. I can definitely see me repurchasing this full size!


An "age control" serum... I have to admit I wasn't sure about this at first. However, one of the best serums I've ever used is YSL's Forever Youth Liberator Serum and that is very much in the same category, so I'm actually quite excited to try this version. It claims to calm redness, which I definitely need, and to soften the look of fine lines - maybe not so much! I'm not keen on the scent but it feels nice and light.


I was surprised to see this in the box as I have actually met the woman who created this brand! She did a talk at the Leeds Blogger Meet Up last year and I liked the sound of her products - just not enough to purchase any. Now I have my own little sample and I can finally form an opinion! This uses fair trade African shea butter, which is a well known ingredient for intensive moisturisers.


This was classed as the "beauty extra", and I have to admit I'm a little disappointed. Two creams in one box? Granted, this is a deep massage cream as opposed to your regular moisturiser but deep down, I don't think there will be much difference between them. This cream contains myrrh and also granules, which have to be rubbed and fully absorbed into the skin to feel the full benefits.


Last but not least is the "lifestyle extra" - a chamomile flower tea from Teapigs. Whenever there is an extra product like this it always seems to be tea, which I don't like! Again, this will get passed onto Martin but it does sound intriguing. Inside the "tea temple" are whole chamomile flowers, which makes the best tea when left to infuse in boiling water for at least three minutes.

As a whole, I am impressed with Birchbox's first offering for the UK. There was a brand I loved from the JolieBox days, one I had heard of but was yet to try and a few that I had never heard of - a good all rounder. Despite this I am considering cancelling the beauty boxes; I'm getting far too many products that I'm just not using up and it's getting a bit silly. I will try next month's box for definite but after that I'm not sure. Guess we'll wait and see - but well done Birchbox!

 

Related Posts

8 comments

  1. It looks like an interesting box but I'm not 100% sold. I'm with you on the two creams thing, bit disappointing. I will, however, take your tea ;P
    Roxy's Box of Tricks  
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not either tbh, I did enjoy the box but it was by no means the best one I've ever had! You'll have to wrestle it off my fella I'm afraid! ;P xx

      Delete
  2. i really enjoyed this months box!! the reverence de bastien for cuticle and nails, along with the fresh lipbalm were definitely the stand out products for me :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh I didn't get that did I? Dunno whether I would've wanted it but it sounds interesting :) The lipbalm was deffo my fave too! xx

      Delete
  3. I really like the look of this but they're not delivering to ROI yet :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks great! I'm definently going to subscribe to this one no shesaid doesn't do beauty boxes anymore x

    OHSO FLAWLESS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a pretty good box :) There seems to be fewer and fewer beauty boxes now x

      Delete