Review: MUA Luxe Velvet Lip Lacquers (Funk, Kooky and Atomic)

November 02, 2013

On 26th October, MUA released their eagerly awaited Luxe collection and I was on their online store faster than you can say "make up"! Having seen some sneaky preview pictures of the Velvet Lip Lacquers, they were the items from the collection that I was dying to get my hands on. However quick I was though, many people were far quicker because by the time I managed to buy them, the shade "Reckless" was out of stock - which was the one shade I was desperate to try! Nevertheless, I added the other four shades to my basket, along with a few other items and checked out. A few days later, I had an email from PayPal saying that I had a partial refund of £3 - which turned out to be the shade "Criminal", which I have to admit I was very annoyed about. I presume that MUA got their stock numbers mixed up, but I received no explanation as to why I wasn't sent that shade. However, two days later all of my other items turned up and I have the shades Funk, Kooky and Atomic to review for you today.

Review of MUA Luxe Velvet Lip Lacquers in Atomic, Funk, Kooky

Let's start off with the packaging, which I would not usually write too much about but I was not impressed with the cardboard outers for these. They're a murky brown-black and the holder for the product curves outwards - it just looks a bit strange and not very professional. I know that these only retail for £3 each but I think a little more thought could have been put into this particular aspect. Otherwise, the gold metallic writing looks fine if a little predictable, and I like how they've designed their new 'Luxe' logo. The problem I foresee with these is how they'll be stacked on the shelves - I can imagine that Superdrug's staff will be forever cursing these awkwardly shaped boxes!

Review of MUA Luxe Velvet Lip Lacquers in Atomic, Funk, Kooky

That being said however, I was impressed with the tubes for these products. The tube is beautifully designed, with a frosted glass finish and the lid looks pretty luxurious too. These come with a doe foot applicator - my favourite for products such as these. They allow for a precise application without streaking or wiping away any product that you have just applied, and how much product is on the applicator can be easily controlled. The tubes make the product look more expensive than it actually is - I would suggest that MUA do away with the cardboard outer and stick with just these instead!

Review of MUA Luxe Velvet Lip Lacquers in Atomic, Funk, Kooky

The closest thing I would compare these lacquers to would be liquid lipsticks, and in particular Lime Crime's Velvetines - only for less than a third of the price and in a wider range of shades. I picked up Kooky, which is a deep, blue-toned purple; Atomic, an almost neon orange and Funk, a soft rosy pink. The other shades available are Reckless, a vampy blood red and Criminal, a vibrant pink. I'm going to talk about the three shades I bought individually, but I was amazed by the formula of all of these. They are incredibly pigmented - so much more than I was expecting for the price. They apply like a gloss, but within one minute have dried down to a velvet-matte finish, which looks absolutely stunning on the lips. Each swatch below shows my natural lips and then the lacquer applied.

Review of MUA Luxe Velvet Lip Lacquer in Atomic - swatch

Atomic
On the website and in the tube, Atomic looks like a fairly safe shade of deep coral. However, once applied to the lips it's an incredibly bright, almost neon colour. I have to admit that I was not expecting this shade to pack such a punch - you'll need a lot of confidence to pull this off. I'm not sure I'm there yet but it's a beautiful shade - it somehow manages to avoid looking like you've smeared marmalade across your lips. This needed just one coat to get a full, even colour and a lip liner is not required here.

Review of MUA Luxe Velvet Lip Lacquer in Funk - swatch

Funk
This is definitely the most wearable shade out of the three, and my unexpected favourite. This is a shade that I imagine would suit anyone, from dark to pale as the colour is bold enough to pop without overpowering the rest of the face. Yet, it is soft and feminine too and absolutely stunning to boot. This is one that I'm going to be wearing to work time and time again, it's completely unique to anything in my collection. Again, just one coat of this was needed with no lip liner necessary.

Review of MUA Luxe Velvet Lip Lacquer in Kooky - swatch

Kooky
By far and away the black sheep of the collection, and in more ways than one. This is the darkest lip colour that I think you can come across that isn't black, it really does draw all of the colour out of your skin so if you're going to wear it out, plan the rest of your make up carefully! This one behaved slightly differently the the others; the pigmentation was the same but it seemed to streak a little on application. You can also spot that the edges are not completely clean - however, this is not noticeable at all from a comfortable distance. If you are obsessive about achieving those clean edges I would advise on a lip liner with this, if you can find one. This also appeared to be slightly glossy in finish compared to the others.

Application is pretty easy with these, but care does need to be taken to achieve a clean finish. Because these are so highly pigmented, any little wobble at the edges will be instantly noticeable. I found, weirdly, that using a make up wipe wrapped around one finger allowed me to clean up any mistakes - but only if I worked fast. As for getting them off - well, you're in for a ride with these! Make up wipes - don't even attempt it. Micellar solution - if left on the lips to soak in it does lift some of the product off, and if you're desperate then you could get it off with a lot of scrubbing - I wouldn't recommend. What did get these off was my REN No.1 Purity Cleansing Balm - being oil based, it made light work of what could have been something much more difficult. I applied a pea-sized amount to my finger, and rubbed it onto my lips like I would a lip balm until the colour started to loosen. Then, I wiped most of the product off with my fingers and some warm water and finally went in with a flannel to get the last remnants off. This took about a minute to do, and my lips were completely clean and not stained whatsoever. Yes, you will end up tasting the cleanser - bleurgh - but trust me when I say that it gets all of the product completely off. Any oil-based make up remover should work but I would recommend a balm cleanser if you have one.

With all of the shades, the wear time and how they felt on the lips was the same. Once these are applied and fully dry, believe me when I say that they do not budge. Eating and drinking doesn't pose a problem (except for maybe oily food, but if you were eating that you probably wouldn't be wearing these anyway) and they didn't need any touching up whatsoever throughout the day. I have to admit that these do feel a bit uncomfortable on the lips, until you get used to it. I want to say that they feel drying, but they're not and my lips are in no worse condition after I have removed them. If you have dry lips, I would put on a light layer of lip balm before applying these - but miraculously they do not cling to any dry patches, or even heavily accentuate the creases of my lips. These do not bleed around the edges, smudge in any way or transfer to anything either; they truly are fool proof!

Final verdict - If you're looking for a truly unique, bold, long lasting lip colour then you need to have at least one of these lacquers in your make up collection. I really hope that MUA come out with even more shades of these because they are my new favourite lip products - they are absolutely amazing for the price and come highly recommended from me.

MUA Luxe Velvet Lip Lacquers are just £3 each and are being sold on their online store, but they are out of stock at the moment. They will be available in Superdrug stores within the next few weeks.

 

Related Posts

25 comments

  1. how have i missed these!? this is the first i've heard of them i love "liquid lipsticks" definitely need to keep an eye out for these? xx

    An Uninventive Name

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When they come back into stock, try and get your hands on them! x

      Delete
  2. Oh wow, I need to get my hands on these! I'll avoid the last shade, because it's a bit too bold for me, but the first two look stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Kooky is a bit well... kooky for most and to be honest I won't be wearing it much, but there's other more wearable shades :) x

      Delete
  3. These look pretty amazing! A couple of the colours look a bit 'much' for me to wear often but they are pretty impressive, and the frosted tubes are quite impressive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, I won't be wearing Atomic and Kooky on a regular basis but Funk I certainly will be! x

      Delete
  4. Kooky is such a gorgeous colour! I'm in love with these :D x

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are just amazing! I am so gonna get these!! :) Lovely swatches! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try and get hold of them when you can! Thank you very much :) x

      Delete
  6. I love your lips! The Funk color is awesome! Would really love to get my hands on these babies soon! I'm excited, great swatches btw! You give the true color of them. :)

    Deann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The lip swatches took a fair bit of time so thank you for appreciating them! x

      Delete
  7. I've been looking for a review of these since they came out! I'd imagine there are a similar texture and concept to the Limecrime Velvetines! Want to get my hands on a few but they are still sold out! Great review though and fab swatches! Thanks!

    Discoveries Of Self

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, I believe I'm one of the first to do so which I was staggered by - I'm waiting to get my hands on the other two shades to review as well! I agree, I will be posting a comparison in the future but they are nearly identical. x

      Delete
  8. I really wanted to get my hands on these - so sad they've sold out. They look amazing!
    Fi x

    girlwithlipstick.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They will be back in stock soon so keep your eye out! x

      Delete
  9. These look amazing! I don't think I could choose a favourite from the colours youv'e swatched...maybe the orange one! I'll definiely be keeping an eye out for these!

    Found your blog through the MUA Facebook share, so glad they shared! Love the layout of your blog, very clean and nice! :) x

    www.ceejayell.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favourite is the pink, Funk - so wearable!
      Thank you for the kind comments, they're really appreciated! :) x

      Delete
  10. Oh my God these shades are so gorgeous! This being said Atomic and Kooky wouldn't work with my skin tone (I don't think anyway!) and I already have too many pink lipsticks to keep me going.

    This being said they are beautiful and I want to get my hands on Reckless. :D

    http://theremightbecoffee.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure they work on me either, but for £3 a pop they were worth a go! I want to get my hands on Reckless too! x

      Delete
  11. Hello, can someone help me?
    I have two lip lacquer Reckless and Criminal and both do not last on the lips.
    Indeed, the problem has on the upper lip. The color unfortunately moved on the lower lip and form clots that then fall.
    By what method would be best to apply it to avoid this?
    I've already tried it with a lip pencil underneath. With lips very moisturized. But nothing :)
    And I'm so sorry because they are colors that I really like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would actually advise not moisturising your lips - they need to be smooth but clean, so maybe for a bit before you pop the lacquers on, wear lip balm for a bit and either let it sink in or wipe off. Also, thin layers work best, and let them dry for a minute or so before putting your lips together. Hope this helps! x

      Delete
  12. Where I could find reckless and funk.??coz it's always out of stock in superdrug and mua store !!! :( plz let me know.

    ReplyDelete