Review: Soap & Glory It's About Prime

January 25, 2013

It's been a while since I've written a review about one of my favourite beauty brands; I had to rectify this! Today I'd like to share with you guys a staple product in any girl's beauty regime, and that is an eyeshadow primer. There are quite a few brands that have their own offerings, some more expensive than others and here is Soap & Glory's... It's About Prime.


Soap & Glory currently offer two shades of their primer; Silver Lining, a smokey grey and Bright Light, the shimmery nude tone which I have here. The purpose of any eye primer as I'm sure you'll know is to create a base for your eyeshadows, which prevents creasing, fading and generally promotes longer wear. Soap & Glory claim that this primer not only has "long wear polymers", but also "coffee extract to fight morning puffiness", which I believe is a first for an eye primer!


The packaging is all you would expect from Soap & Glory; fun, informative and generally just a joy to look at! This is on the cardboard packaging at least, the tube itself is surprisingly simple and to the point. The tube is clear so you can see how much is left and features a doe foot wand applicator. The only problem that I've found with this, which you'll see in the image below, is that the wand tends to get very gunked up with product - making it a bit of a pain to use. Nothing to put me off buying it again though; a few swipes against the inside of the tube opening sorts this problem out.


To apply this product, I dab the primer all over my eyelid with the wand, and use my ring finger to blend it up to the brow bone and also underneath my eye, if I plan to wear any eyeliner. It dries quickly and to a matte yet shimmery finish - this works great as a highlighter under your brows, so you can kill two birds with one stone here! However, if you're planning on only using matte shadows, the shimmery finish can be a little off putting - which is one of only two negative comments I can make about this primer. It is quite a pale shade but this can be blended right down until only the shimmer is visible.


Well, the million dollar question is, does it work? Yes, and very well too. I have quite oily lids (I seem to be plagued with the worst types of skin); this removes any excess shine and keeps it looking that way all day - sometimes I just apply this primer and no eyeshadow if I'm in a rush! When applied, eyeshadow appears brighter and deeper than usual, applies smoothly and blends well. This holds any amount of eyeshadow in place for an impressive amount of time - I'd say about 8 hours or more, depending on whether I'm using it for work or an evening out. I couldn't have asked for much more from Soap & Glory!

Final verdict: A primer that initially looks too pale, but don't let this put you off - this is an excellent little product, and you're getting good value for money with one that will last for a long time.

It's About Prime can be found in Boots for £8.

 

Related Posts

2 comments

  1. I have to admit, I'm naughty and never wear a primer under my eyeshadows. Although saying that, I think you've persuaded me to give this a try! I'm also a S&G virgin, so two birds with one stone!

    http://www.danielleyc.com/ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never used to until I got sent this! I can't believe you've never tried S&G!! You must, their bath/body products smell AMAZING xx

      Delete