Review: Salted Caramel Yankee Candle

January 08, 2014

Salted Caramel Yankee Candle review photo

You guys might remember that last year (feels so weird to write that!), I reviewed some Yankee Candle wax tarts from their Autumn collection. My absolute favourite was their Salted Caramel scent, and I intended to purchase a small candle at some point in the future. A few weeks ago, me and Martin popped into the newly reopened Clintons store in Leeds, after seeing a Yankee Candle display in the window. As soon as I walked in, I spotted a big stand with a sign atop of it reading "25% off Fragrance of the Month: Salted Caramel". Well, I nearly had a giddy fit right there in the shop! The large candle was reduced to £14.99 from £19.99, and at that price it seemed silly to purchase a smaller candle.

Salted Caramel Yankee Candle review photo

I've now had it burning on and off for the last few weeks, and feel able to offer you my thoughts on it. The scent is not quite the same as the wax tart, however the intensity is just as strong! The scent isn't quite as sweet, and in the large candle form, the 'salted' element is completely lost. Also, because there is a wick burning, it can at times take on that burnt smell, which is a bit of a disappointment. The scent does completely fill any room that you choose to burn it in though, so in that sense it is good value for money.

Salted Caramel Yankee Candle review photo

That being said, however, at times (and especially in smaller rooms like mine), it can be quite overpowering and burning it for several hours can make it very sickly. Which leads me onto my next point - this candle has to be burnt for several hours at a time, and if it isn't then the candle 'tunnels'. This is a quite a common occurrence with candles of this size; if the wax is not able to melt all the way to the edges, it can leave some wasted wax up the sides of the jar. I have bought a "Illuma-Lid" from Yankee Candles, which is supposed to help combat this problem - only time will tell as to whether it actually will!

Final verdict: If I were to buy this scent again, I would stick to the wax tarts. I like to change my scents fairly often, but even then I was convinced that I would love this as much as the tarts - sadly, that's not quite the case. It's a very nice scent and I don't regret my purchase, but the large candle is a bit too much for me and my small room!

The large Salted Caramel Yankee Candle can be bought from Yankee Planet for £19.45.

 

Related Posts

8 comments

  1. it is a shame you didn't get on with this as much as you expected. I prefer to stick to the wax tarts or sample size candles as I get a bit bored otherwise. I do like to have the big candles for more neutral scents such as clean cotton though. x

    Leanne - A Slice of My Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, same here. This was a bit of a gamble and it didn't really pay off sadly! x

      Delete
  2. I recently got a large red berry yankee candle, it was lovely at first but the burnt smell you mentioned now seems to linger for a much longer time, shame really + not great for asthmatics! I've had other large yankee candles before though and they've been lovely. Especially love spiced orange for christmas :)
    L xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true actually, never thought of that. They don't burn very cleanly. x

      Delete
  3. Aw it's such a shame you didn't like it as much. I really like the sound of it but it's so lovely reading an honest review :)

    Libby from www.lifeoflibby.co.uk
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I was quite disappointed! Glad you found my review useful x

      Delete
  4. What a shame you didn't like it so much second time round. I love this one but my partner hates it so I have to burn it when he's not going to be in for a few hours! I usually tend to stick to the smaller jars though xx

    kizzyhearts.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, Martin isn't a fan of it either so it's going to take me a while to get through! x

      Delete