IKEA Moppe drawers

August 09, 2012

Over the last few days I've done some rearranging in my bedroom. I was getting a bit sick of things piling up, so I decided to clear out and tidy up! I wanted something to keep all my make up in, as the GlossyBoxes were a good idea initially but the more make up I bought, the more impractical it became. So, I went in hunt for some drawers that I could store everything in, and found the IKEA Moppe drawers for a very reasonable £17. After checking that the particular set I wanted was in stock (they do a few versions), I went and picked them up today! Click the link to find out what I did with them.



As you can see, straight out of the packaging they are plain, untreated wood - which is pretty unoffensive but I wanted to jazz them up a bit. After a bit of Googling I found this, and I really liked the idea. However, as I'm trying to save some pennies I decided to forgo that idea, but do something similar - paint the drawers black, leave the frame bare and attach the Dymo labels that Martin had made for my GlossyBoxes.


After getting it home, Martin took it out to the back garden to paint the drawers. He'd already bought me some black spray paint (with the intention of using it for shoes, but other paint got used instead), so it was simply the case of spraying the bits that I wanted. I should point out that Martin did all of the painting - partly because he enjoys it and partly because I'd just end up making a big mess!


Martin used about 3/4 of the can to do the front ends of each drawers. I did originally want all of the sides doing but seeing as we only had one can of paint, we stuck to the front and we may do the sides another day. We left it to dry in the sun, and it was completely dry in about 45 minutes.


Once we'd brought it in, we had the task of deciding what went where. The large bottom drawer (Which I had originally wanted my eyeshadow palettes to go in) became a jewellery drawer, and I said I ideally would've wanted something to separate the rings, bracelets and earrings. After a bit of brainstorming Martin came up with the idea of reusing the Harrods GlossyBox!


We discovered that the GlossyBox just fitted in the drawer, but I wanted it to look a bit better. So Martin cut the sides off the lid, then cut it in half to line the bottom of the drawer on either side. I would've liked for the two opposite sides of the GlossyBox (top and bottom in the picture below) taken off to to even it all out a bit, but there would've been the risk of the left and right sides not holding themselves up. Besides, beggars can't be choosers and in time this might be replaced.


After sorting the jewellery drawer out, it was simply a case of sorting out where everything else was going and attaching labels. As mentioned previously these were on the GlossyBoxes; Martin was able to pull them off carefully using a pair of tweezers but they did get a little bent in the process! I don't mind at all though as it sort of adds to the whole "rustic" look, as it were.


Now it is pretty much completed, except for a label for the top middle drawer (which has my nail products in). It only took a few hours from start to finish and the beauty of these drawers is that you can customise them any way you want to. I've seen some amazing results all over the internet, along with tutorials so it's something anyone can do. For me, these drawers are big enough for all of my make up with room to spare and can be put anywhere - even attached to the wall, although you would have to drill the holes yourself.



In short, I would highly recommend these drawers to any of you girls looking to organise your beauty products, but still wanting to have easy access. These are perfectly stackable so you could buy as many as you wanted, in different sizes/combinations to suit your needs!

Has anyone else used these to organise their beauty products? What do you think of them?

 

Related Posts

5 comments

  1. Wow! I'm not even joking, this post was like a slice of heaven for me! xD They look amazing! Well done on doing such a great job :)

    http://www.nickysbeautyquest.com
    Xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha ace, glad you enjoyed it! ;) Thank you, although the credit should really go to my fella! :P x

      Delete
  2. So inspiring. Mine just have crap in them... Time to use them for my makeup!
    http://www.blushandbutter.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's a brilliant way to store make up if you ask me x

      Delete
  3. Oe, this is so nice! I was searching for a way to pimp my own MOPPE drawers on the outside. Though I wouldn't paint it black, I'm very inspired by the way you cutted of the lids of the GlossyBox. Now I'll just look for a box of my own and make it suit in my own MOPPE drawers! Thank you, Ellie!

    ReplyDelete