|

Disappointing Products #01

May 10, 2015

Blogging is meant to be an honest and fair game, right? It's not often that you'll see a bad review on my blog, because often if I don't like the product then I don't tend to mention it. However, I have come across a few products recently that have been such a disappointment, that I felt the urge to write a post and warn you against buying them for yourself! It should be said that these are my opinions only, and I know that for one product in particular the complete opposite can be the case (People love it, not hate it), but hopefully you'll enjoy this little series. There are only five products, so let's get started!



SleepPhones* I was sent these for review a couple of months ago, and to be honest it was a bit of a shambles from the beginning. The guy I was in contact with via email claimed that they got lost in the mail (Which can happen, but I don't tend to believe it these days), and they took several weeks to arrive. These are a set of two speakers in a soft, fleece headband that you can connect to your mp3 player and play music, in order to help you drift off to sleep. I was really looking forward to trying these as I really struggle to drop off, instead lying awake for quite some time. However, when I eventually received them and gave them a go, one of the speakers didn't work! I emailed the guy to let him know, and never received an email back. I was so disappointed and to be honest, pretty annoyed!

Physician's Formula Matte Finishing Veil You may remember seeing this in a haul post at the beginning of last month, when I bought it from TKMaxx, It was only £3.99 (I can only assume it was originally much more expensive than that). and as far as I am aware it was only available in the USA. I bought it on a whim, as I had never seen anything like it before, and to be honest I didn't have particularly high hopes. I liked the idea of the powder being fed through the brush, as it would mean a lot less mess, but in reality it didn't really work at all. Abandoning that, I tried sifting a bit of the powder onto a powder puff and applying it that way. Much to my disappointment, it was dry, cakey and made me look like a ghost! I've tried applying it with a different brush, too, and it wasn't much better.

Collection Volumising Waterproof Mascara I bought this several months ago, with the hope that it would be a good dupe for the Maybelline The Rocket Volum' Express Waterproof Mascara. The packaging looked very similar, even though it is a different colour, and when I opened it the brush looked similar too - so I was pretty pleased with myself! However, when I tried it I wish that I had never bought it in the first place. The bristles are extremely short, which means that it's difficult to apply without getting it everywhere, which is bad enough. Once you've finally got it on, it isn't even worth the time that you spent applying it! It didn't do anything for my lashes at all; it didn't hold a curl, didn't lengthen and certainly didn't add volume. It was awful to remove too! I've since bought the Maybelline one, which I love.

TinkleRazors* Again, I was sent these for review and it was a bit of a weird one to be honest. I remember reading this post on Makeup Savvy about the benefits of shaving one's face, and I thought hey, why not give it a go? So, when an email about these came into my inbox I said I would give them a try. When they arrived, I had a go straight away - to find that they did absolutely nothing. Not even one hair was removed from my face! I tried every which way, and going over the same area again and again, to no avail. I watched other people using similar ones online and tried again, and still no result. So, in the end they ended up being a big waste of time! That, and the name for these is a bit odd, don't you think...?

MAC Blot Powder in 'Light' I've saved the biggest disappointment until last, and it kills me a little inside to say that I really dislike this product. You'll know from reading my blog that I really struggle with extreme oiliness on my t-zone, and I'm forever searching for products that will keep that shine at bay for just a little bit longer. I actually searched online for "best blotting powder for very oily skin" and this powder came up again and again, with people citing it as a holy grail product. No shine and no oil for hours at a time, they said! So, I purchased this from work with very high hopes indeed. Now, I can't tell you how many ways I've tried to apply this product; with a powder puff, brush, sponge, you name it I've probably tried it. I've applied it lightly, heavily, used it as just a top-up and I am so disappointed to say that I cannot get this to work for me at all. For a start, it's incredibly cakey, and very white - it doesn't blend into my skin at all. The latter could be resolved with a darker shade, but I just cannot stand how cakey, patchy and uneven it looks on my skin. Hopefully I can give this to someone else!

Related Posts

2 comments

  1. i am glad you decided to feature two products you were sent to review in this post, i imagine there are so many bloggers that don't mention things like this happening fearing they won't be contacted again by these companies but it's great that you did! shame that these disappointed you !! x

    jordaneyasmin.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jordane, I always aim to be as honest as possible when reviewing products! x

      Delete