Trends I Love: Tartan

September 19, 2013

As the nights draw in and the days get colder, it's time to finally invest in some autumn/winter trends. One trend that reappears year after year is tartan - it only gets touched upon some years but in 2013 it has made a full comeback, with everything from trousers to hats getting a look in. Tartan is one of my favourite prints - I used to have a tartan bedset when I was a lot younger and I used to put it on exclusively in winter time. It now reminds me of keeping cosy and warm in the colder months! Below I have chosen some of my favourites high street pieces that should suit everyone's tastes, whether you want to go all-in or just give a nod to the trend.

Autumn fashion trends 2013 tartan

Woven chain bracelet
£5.65
Forever 21

This bracelet is great for anyone who doesn't want to go too full on with the trend, and it's little accessories like this that can make an otherwise simple outfit. I would have automatically paired tartan with silver but it looks fantastic with gold, it really make it an autumn/winter piece. Because of the red, blue, cream and black shades running throughout the plaid, this would be easy to style.

Autumn fashion trends 2013 tartan

G21 Check Collar Playsuit
£16
George @ Asda

I've seen a lot of shirts like this but never a playsuit, and I really like this one! Admittedly I've never worn a playsuit in my life, and I'm not sure how practical they are for winter but with some super thick tights ad cosy boots, this could work really quite well. Most of the styling has been done for you and the extra touch with the collar makes it into a very on-trend piece.

Autumn fashion trends 2013 tartan

Red Check Print T-Shirt
£17.99
New Look

I'm not keen on tartan on the bottom half (in the form of skirts or trousers), but on the top half I am a big fan. This t-shirt is simple and wearable - just a classic tartan print on a slightly sheer fabric, that can be dressed up or down. I imagine wearing this tucked into a black maxi skirt or high waisted jeans, with a leather jacket would look brilliant. This is so versatile and a worthwhile investment.

Autumn fashion trends 2013 tartan

Tartan Chiffon Dress
£13
Primark

Despite what I said above I do like dresses with the tartan print, as long as they're subtle or the dress itself is not too fussy. This dress manages to combine both, with the subdued hue and light, floaty material. There is some detail that has been added via a collar but with it being plain black, it avoids overpowering the dress and compliments it rather well.

Autumn fashion trends 2013 tartan

Checked scarf
£8
F&F @ Tesco

My last item is another accessory, and I absolutely love the slightly unusual print on this. The soft, almost pastel shades make this scarf more feminine whilst the warm, cosy fabric keeps it practical for the colder months. It's not your average, run-of-the-mill tartan scarf and not many people will be sporting one of these. I'm definitely going to be investing in one this year!

 

Related Posts

Leave a comment