Review: REN No1 Purity Cleansing Balm

August 08, 2013

As you probably all know by now, a while ago I decided to update my skincare routine, based on the recommendations of Caroline Hirons. Well, I've been trying out a number of products and one of the first products to change was my cleanser. I finished up my RMK cleansing balm and was in the market for a new one - and browsing various brand websites and my staff discount website led me to this. I've been using it pretty much every day for the last two weeks so I now feel able to give you guys a full review.

REN No1 Purity Cleansing Balm review photo

Claiming to be suitable for all skin types, REN's No. 1 Purity Cleansing Balm is an oil-based cleanser that thoroughly removes all traces of dirt and make up. Infused with rose oil and pink violet leaf extract, it aims to calm and soothe the skin after a full, long day. As most of you will undoubtedly know REN are proud to produce "clean skincare", meaning they use no parabens, sulfates, mineral oil or synthetic fragrance - among others - in any of their products. With my sensitive, rosacea-prone skin in mind this cleansing balm sounded perfect for me. In terms of the Caroline Hirons' recommended skincare routine I use this as my first cleanse in the evening if I'm wearing make up, or just on its own if I'm not.

REN No1 Purity Cleansing Balm review photo

As you can see my product came in a tube, which I have to admit is not ideal. REN however also have this available in a tub (linked at the end of this post), which may not be as hygienic but certainly would make it a lot easier to work with. The balm is very, very thick, but despite that, when worked between the hands and massaged into the face it spreads easily and melts slightly. This means that a little goes a long way and you don't need nearly as much as you think you do. The balm has a definite scent of rose to it but it isn't strong at all... merely noticeable and that's just fine with me. I massage this onto dry skin, paying particular attention to the eyes (mascara and concealer) and eyebrows to really work the make up off. Then, I get a flannel, and buff it all off with lots of hot water. When rinsing you need to make sure that all of the cleanser is removed, as it would leave a residue on your skin - which would contain the make up/dirt that you were trying to clean off!

REN No1 Purity Cleansing Balm review photo

Whether I'm using this as a first cleanse or just by itself, this cleanser leaves my skin feeling soft, smooth and comfortable without a hint of oily residue, dirt or make up in sight. I was so used to having a tight, dry feeling after cleansing that I was astonished when using this resulted in the opposite... my skin feels refreshingly clean instead of stripped which is wonderful. In regards to my problem area, my nose, it doesn't leave it any more shiny in appearance but it hasn't improved it either - an interesting point to note from an oil-based cleanser. Some reviews of this product have said that this stings if you use it on your eyes; personally, I have quite sensitive eyes and for me, this cleanser hasn't stung at all and I really did test that theory when removing a stubborn mascara. But, as a precaution I would be careful when using it in that area at first and not dive straight in with it. This is a real treat to use and I look forward to removing my make up at the end of the day now!

Final verdict: I would recommend this cleansing balm to any skin type - especially dry and sensitive, but even an oilier skin type would see the benefits of using this. A bit on the pricier end of the scale but worth every penny; I would pay full price for this.

REN No.1 Purity Cleansing Balm is available from REN's online store in either a 100ml tube for £23 or 150ml tub for £30 (The latter works out to be much better value).

 

Related Posts

2 comments

  1. I have been looking for a new cleanser and this sounds really good. reat post. xx

    Claire does beauty

    ReplyDelete