JolieBox April 2012

April 22, 2012

I began subscribing to JolieBox last month, after giving GlossyBox a whirl for a few months. I did enjoy GlossyBox and have very few complaints about them, but when JolieBox announced that in March their box was to include all full size products, they drew me in! I was very impressed with their March box so I cancelled my subscription to GlossyBox to give JolieBox a go. I honestly would have kept both but like most, I can't afford to. So, this being my second JolieBox, what do I think?




JolieBox, as most of us now know, used to be known as Boudoir Privé. This was before I started subscribing so I can't comment on if they have improved since the change or not. However, I heard that their box used to be a pale pink like the GlossyBoxes, so it is nice to see that they've set out to differentiate themselves and stand out a little bit more!


The box is pretty standard as beauty boxes go - however, it does the job! It is a little bit smaller than a GlossyBox, which I don't think is a bad thing. One main difference is the inclusion of a drawstring bag instead of paper sizzle, which I much prefer as it means they can be reused to keep your other beauty bits neat and tidy! I used the bag from last month to put my make up in when traveling to Sheffield, it really was the perfect size!


Included with the box was their JolieMag, which I really enjoyed and is a nice extra touch! There was also a discount code for a jewellery company and a "menu" listing all the items, plus a bit of blurb on the reverse telling you how to use the products and the theme of the box.


This month's box included five beauty samples: Bellapierre Black Mascara, Balance Me Cleanse and Smooth Face Balm, KMS California FreeShape Hot Flex Spray, Tropic Skincare Skin Revive and Pure Fiji Nourishing Exotic Oil in Coconut.


When I first saw the mascara I thought "Great, yet another black mascara!" I do have two or three black mascaras, and I am guilty of thinking that most mascaras are the same. However, unlike the ones I do have, the wand on this mascara is quite thin and could be what I need. With thick brushes I struggle to coat my bottom lashes and in the corners of my eyes without getting it all over, so I'm assuming with a thinner brush it would make it much easier! So this could be a hidden gem after all.


Now this intrigues me! I've used a product from Balance Me before; their Super Moisturising Body Wash and I really enjoyed it, so I was happy to see this brand in my box! According to their website, this particular balm is sold with a muslin cloth, which I wasn't expecting when I first had a look at the balm. At the moment I'm using Liz Earle's Cleanse & Polish (that I got free with Red magazine), so when that is finished I intend to use this one and do a comparison of the two - so look out for that in the coming months!


Another perfect product for me at the moment, this is a heat-activated spray that promises to hold hairstyles whilst still being flexible. As mentioned before, I straighten my hair nearly every day and don't use any heat protecting products, which is pretty terrible of me really. I like the fact that it's a spray instead of a mousse or something else you have to comb through with your fingers, I never seem to be able to distribute them evenly through my hair!


I'm going to be completely honest about this one - I don't like it! I've been using this cream every day since receiving the box and I don't get on with it at all. It smells lovely and the texture feels nice, but once it gets into my skin it leaves it with a greasy film and feeling a bit dirty - despite me just cleaning it! I'm not sure which skin type it's meant for, but I used it on the dry patches and they just don't feel moisturised. So needless to say I'm disappointed with this product, despite initially being pleased to see it in the box.


I've heard a lot about the benefits of using oil, which I have to admit, to begin with, I couldn't think of anything worse! After reading about so many people's positive reviews of them though, I am slowly starting to come around so this is a handy product to receive. On the labels it says that it is a bath and body oil, however it can also be used on the hair which is what I intend to test it on. The scent isn't altogether my cup of tea as I'm not fond of coconut - I would have preferred another scent such as White Gingerlily or Mango. But I suppose that's how these boxes work, you never know what you're going to get! However the scent isn't particularly overpowering and wouldn't put me off purchasing it again if it was the only scent available.

So all in all, a brilliant box for me right now with a lot of products I want to try! There was only one product that let it down for me which isn't bad at all.

You can sign up to JolieBox via their website, and it costs £12.95 for one box per month.

Related Posts

Leave a comment