Sun 23rd Feb: BrewDog Leeds and RARE

February 25, 2014

Warning: Picture heavy!
















Me and Martin don't usually do anything on Sundays (Read: Spending the day in bed), but last weekend saw me go into Leeds city centre to meet two of our friends for some drinks and a Sunday dinner. Seeing as Martin was working until 4pm, I met up with our friends in a bar called BrewDog, who pride themselves on on being one of the few craft beer bars in Leeds. They have bars up and down the country, with more to open throughout the year and it is honestly one of my favourite places to visit. BrewDog is not your average bar; the prices are more than what people usually would pay but for that, you can try an incredible range of beers that are all full of flavour and crafted with skill. My usual favourite has to be the 'Punk IPA', but this time around my first beer of choice was the 'Libertine Black Ale'; 7.2%, which was served in a 2/3 pint glass. I also got to try my friend's bottle of 'Hello, My Name Is Vladimir', and 'Blitz Raspberry'. Martin joined us pretty shortly, so whilst he tried the Libertine I had a pint of '5am Saint', which was a bit lighter than the previous but delicious all the same.

After we'd had our starters (ha), we went to RARE on Lower Briggate for our Sunday lunch. I had never heard of this bar-come-restaurant before, let alone visited it and it came very highly recommended. It seemed like quite a small place, but there was another dining area downstairs. The decor was simple but elegant, with atmospheric lighting and a choice of plenty of places to sit. Their Sunday lunch is served between 12-8pm, and it was from this menu that I chose the Tamworth Pork Belly, £12 which was served with roast potatoes, carrot and swede puree, braised cabbage inside a giant Yorkshire pudding and curly kale with roast onion and porter gravy. Before we ate, we were given some sausages in a brown sauce to whet our appetites, which were extremely flavoursome before the main dish was brought out. I thoroughly enjoyed the meal, however the pork belly came with a layer of fat across the top - although it had been cooked well, I just couldn't bring myself to try more than half of it - even though in this case it is meant to be eaten. The texture didn't sit right with me and it would have been much more enjoyable without it. However, the meat underneath was gorgeous; it fell off the bone with barely any effort and was very tender. My unexpected favourite part of the dish was the braised cabbage, which even Martin enjoyed and he can't usually stand it! The quality of the food was amazing for the price, and coupled with a great selection of drinks (I noticed that they also do some cocktails that looked amazing), it means that I would highly recommend this bar/restaurant to anyone looking for a Sunday lunch in Leeds.

 

Related Posts

Leave a comment