Review: MUA Pro-Base Fixing Mist

September 13, 2013

If you saw my latest haul post then you will have seen that I did a little bit of online shopping with MUA, when they had 30% off last bank holiday weekend. My items took a bit longer to arrive than I'd hoped but when they did, I tore the package open with excitement to find a whole host of goodies nestled inside! Included among them was this make up setting spray, that I had been wanting to try for a while.

MUA pro base fixing mist review photo

MUA have released a whole range under the "Pro-Base" name, mainly concealing kits but they also have an eye primer and of course, this spray. Despite being slightly expensive for MUA - considering that most of their products are under £4 - this is still the cheapest make up setting spray that I have ever come across. The bottle is quite a bit smaller than I was expecting for the price (60ml), but thinking about it you don't use a lot on each application so this should last me a while. The application is pretty straight forward, as you would expect. Apply your make up as normal, hold the spray at arm's length and, with your eyes closed, spray until you have everything covered. I found that despite the claim "Micro-fine mist for easy application", the spray was a bit strong and it did feel like it was hitting me in the face a bit! By saying that it also implies that the spray is continuous, which it isn't so that was a bit disappointing. It does apply to your skin really quite wet due to how strong the spray is, but within thirty seconds or so it has dried down, and hasn't moved any of your make up whilst doing so.

MUA pro base fixing mist review photo

With my niggles out of the way, let's move on to what I like about the product, which is quite a lot. I like the scent; it's light, refreshing and not overpowering in the slightest. I imagine that it would be quite nice to use on a hot summer's day, to cool you down a bit - meaning that it is a multipurpose product. I also found that my skin felt moisturised and hydrated after application, both with and without make up. I suspect that this is down to the aloe vera leaf juice that can be found in the ingredients list, which probably also contributes to the scent as well. As for holding my make up in place, it does do that spectacularly well - far better than I was expecting! I've noticed particularly on my cheeks that any blush/bronzer that I apply there is still clearly visible by the end of my shift at work (Which is on average seven hours long), whereas other times they might have worn off slightly. My foundation doesn't seem to wear off really so I can't comment on whether that has improved, but I did notice that on my nose it seemed to make the foundation and powder separate more quickly, which was a shame as I'd hoped that it would improve matters there. However, on the rest of my face where my skin isn't so oily (and I have therefore applied much less powder), I find that the spray takes the powdery edge off my application and makes the finish look much more natural - which was an unexpected bonus!

Final verdict: If you struggle with making your make up last all day, go buy this pronto. I just wish MUA had put more thought into the spray packaging to make it a finer, continuous spray!

MUA Pro-Base Fixing Mist can be bought from Superdrug or MUA Online for £5.

 

Related Posts

Leave a comment