Review: Dainty Doll Concealer Pen in 004 It's A Kind Of Magic

June 28, 2013

I'm back again today with another Dainty Doll review for you, and today is the green concealer pen from their range. This was a bit of a blind purchase for me, I couldn't find any reviews for this particular shade online. However, I was in the market for a green concealer, and for £1.99 I knew that it was going to be one of the cheapest I could find that was deemed to be good quality. For those reasons, I bought it and have been using it on and off ever since.


I didn't know what to expect from this concealer. I've never owned one in a brush pen form before, so I was keen to see how I could use it in comparison to my usual doe foot applicator concealer. As you would expect with a product of this nature, there is a button on the bottom of the pen that you click until product starts to appear out of the brush. The very first time I did this, it took me a lot of "clicks" to make any concealer appear - and unfortunately, every time since has been exactly the same. When it does eventually make an appearance there's a lot of product, far too much to simply brush onto any offending areas which makes it a bit of a pain to work with. However, this is a fault of pretty much every applicator of this style so I cannot fault Dainty Doll alone for that.


The concealer is a very pale green, far paler than I was expecting - at first glance it doesn't even look green! But a pale, mint green hue is definitely there and shows up on the skin. A quality I was not expecting to notice was the smell - as soon as I started using it around the edges of my nose I noticed quite a strong, grass-like scent, which is odd but not unpleasant. This scent does not stick around once it's blended in though, so those who really dislike it can work around that easily enough. It is very creamy in consistency, and despite it's paleness it blends into my skin easily and very well. You do have to work quickly though - it seems to sink into the skin, and practically disappears in about thirty seconds or so, which I have to admit I find a bit odd! I tend to put this on before foundation so I don't end up with green patches on my face, but if I'm honest I could just as easily wear it over foundation and have no problems. The coverage is not as high as I was expecting, which actually works in its favour; it's buildable and therefore difficult to apply too much.

All in all, it works very well at reducing redness around my jawline and nose. It's not particularly good at covering up redness from spots, but can be used as an addition to a fuller coverage concealer for a seamless finish. If you have particularly bad redness, then this will probably not do it for you. However, if like me you suffer with odd patches of light to medium redness, then you could do a lot worse than this. A place that I found this to work particularly well on was around my eyebrows; if I've had to pluck an obvious hair or two before dashing out of the door, this works wonders at calming the irritated skin. Every concealer I own manages to cling to the dry patches of skin I have around my eyebrows, but this one doesn't at all - making it a definite consideration for anyone with dry skin!

Final verdict: This is a concealer that works best in harmony with a foundation; on its own it's unlikely to give you the coverage you're looking for, but under foundation it comes into its own and any redness is virtually undetectable. A well priced concealer that anyone with redness should consider using regularly as part of a make up routine.

Dainty Doll Concealer Pen in 004 It's A Kind Of Magic is, at the time of posting, still available to buy online from Fragrance Direct for £1.99 (RRP £12.50).

 

Related Posts

2 comments

  1. I've only ever tried one thing from the Dainty Doll range and that was the blush in Money Talks which I use as a contour, but I'm definitely going to keep my eyes open for this! I hate pen style applicators with click ends, but I really want to try a green concealer and at £1.99 it would be rude not to :)

    Hannah x
    hannahhepton.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've still yet to try out my cream blusher from DD to use as a contour... need to get a decent brush for it first! Give it a go, it might surprise you :) x

      Delete