Review: Witch Blemish Stick

April 09, 2013

I may not have had my own laptop for several weeks now (long story), but I'm trying to not let that stop me from blogging for you guys! Today's effort is a review of the Witch Blemish Stick, which I very kindly received in a goody bag from the FABB Bloggers Leeds event. I didn't really need another spot treatment, as I already have my beloved gel from Etat Pur, but I was very curious to see how this much cheaper spot treatment from a very well-known brand compares.


This is a witch hazel stick (well known for spot-fighting properties - but I'm sure I didn't need to tell you that!), that claims to break down the excess oils and fight the bacteria that causes spots. It comes in bright blue packaging that is near impossible to miss, and in a small 10g tube for ease of application. The idea is that you dab it onto any affected areas as soon as the spot appears, and apply it then as often as needed until it disappears. Pretty simple and to the point!


The product itself is unlike anything I've ever seen - although I suppose the more unfortunate among you have seen this sort of thing very often. It is bright blue, and a fairly solid consistency - although this definitely wears down over time. The only thing I can think of that describes it a bit more is a solid hair wax, although definitely not sticky! Despite being bright blue in the tube it applies clear, and feels cool to the touch - especially when applied to any affected areas.


Now, when I eventually managed to get my grubby mitts on the product, I have to admit I was stumped. At first, there appears to be no way to get the stick of product out of the tube. Eventually, after a lot of prodding and poking I figured out how to do it. Basically, you have to use your finger on the underside of the tube to push the product up, as demonstrated below. In theory, this works fine, until you are finished with the product and want to put the lid back on. How do you get the product back in? The only way is to again, use your finger and push down on top of the product to put it back in the tube. To me, this is a very backwards way of designing such a product. With a spot fighting treatment, surely having to put your fingers on the product each time is transferring bacteria onto it, and therefore onto your spot? One could argue that you would have scrupulously clean hands anyway, but this is still very much a design flaw for me. All of that aside, the million dollar question is - does it work?


I can tell you that the answer is definitely yes - however, in a very different way in what I'm used to with my Etat Pur. The top listed ingredient in this stick is alcohol, and I knew it would be before I'd even read the packaging. That's because this has an unmistakeable scent of it, and when applied to a spot you can instantly feel it tingling away on your skin. The downsides to this are that if you have just popped the spot (gross I know but we've all been there), then pop this over the top, it stings like nothing else. Secondly, it does dry the spot out quite a lot, which makes it difficult to apply concealer over. All that being said though, there's no denying that it works. I had a pretty horrendous spot at the end of my eyebrow a few days ago, and after applying this religiously it is no longer red, sore and angry. In fact, I would say that it has pretty much gone! If my Etat Pur ever runs out, I will definitely consider picking up another tube of this as it is much more reasonably priced.

Final verdict: Despite the (pretty major in my opinion) design flaw, this is an extremely well priced spot fighting treatment that will definitely help get rid of that nasty spot! One to pop into your every-day handbag for on-the-go emergencies.

Witch Blemish Stick* can be bought from Boots for £2.89.

 

Related Posts

Leave a comment