Review: Dot by Marc Jacobs

March 22, 2013

With my first purchase from my work's staff discount being a perfume, I figured that it had to be worth a review. I've never reviewed a perfume before, so this is a new experience for all of us! This was one of the first fragrances that I tried at work and fell in love with. Like I mentioned in my previous post, I sprayed this on myself on the way to Amsterdam, and now it reminds me of that trip - which bring back happy memories for me! I will be wearing it on my trip to London this Friday too, so hopefully the scent will evoke more happy memories in the future.


Dot was released almost exactly a year ago, in March 2012. I remember it being released and seeing advertisements for it everywhere, and like most, the bottle's design immediately caught my eye. Everyone seems to have different opinions about it - some say it reminds them of ladybirds, some say of butterflies. Well, Marc Jacobs himself focused on the butterfly motif in particular, to bring a playful charm to the elegant colour scheme of black and red. The dots are a Marc Jacobs design staple and add a touch of retro kitsch to the design. The oversized pearl on the largest butterfly and gold accents will reassure most that this is a luxury brand. This bottle is definitely one to proudly display on your dressing table, and is a real stand-out design to the majority of other perfumes brands out there.


Onto the scent itself, and it really is divine! To me it is quite unusual; definitely juicy and fruity, but not too sweet or overpowering. The perfume opens with top notes of dragon fruit, red berries and honeysuckle, the strongest scent by far being the red berries. These are then followed by floral heart notes of orange blossom, jasmine and coconut water (there was me thinking that I hated the smell of coconut), and finishes with base notes of driftwood, vanilla and musk. To me the musk is barely noticeable; musk notes tend to make a fragrance feel heavy and strong, whereas this scent as a whole is very fresh and light - perfect for summer.


Spraying it all over myself at work has given me plenty of chances to test the wear of this perfume, and I have to say that I'm quite impressed. The whole scent tends to last for a good couple of hours, and wears down to the base notes quite slowly after that. As I walk around during the day, every so often I catch little whiffs of this perfume, which I have noticed hours after I have applied it. It is by no means the longest lasting fragrance around, but it wears well without a dramatic change in scent or quality. The perfume, from the bottle design down to the scent, is marketed for a young generation and I can't see it having many fans in the more mature age group. Obviously I sit smack bang in the middle of the target range, so this perfume suits me down to the ground!

Final verdict: A young, playful, fruity fragrance that will catch most girl's attention by bottle design alone. Not a groundbreaking fragrance, but one that will have its share of young fans in years to come!

Dot by Marc Jacobs can be bought from any good fragrance retailer in 30ml, 50ml or 100ml sizes. The cheapest price I've found for 100ml online is £51.66 from Perfume Lover.

 

Related Posts

2 comments

  1. Oh I have this :) it was a Christmas present and I've got a review scheduled up soon. LOVE IT.

    Elspeth xx

    ReplyDelete