|

Birchbox March 2013 - My last beauty box

March 18, 2013

That time has rolled around again, with the arrival of another Birchbox. This was a bit of a strange box for me because I knew it was going to be my last one. I want to say straight away that it's not because I disliked this month's box, or Birchbox in general - there are other reasons behind it! Click the link below to keep on reading and find out why this is going to be my last Birchbox.



This month Birchbox had a theme of "Role Models", and if you're guessing Mother's Day you guessed correctly! A bit of an odd theme for me if I'm honest, considering that Birchbox didn't do a Valentine's Day one last month, but I suppose they've got to think of a theme somehow! This month features some "hero products", which is the exact same line they used last month - oops! But there were some really good products this month so I can hardly complain. Included in this month's box were five samples, a beauty extra and a lifestyle extra, which were La Sultane De Saba Body Lotion, Laura Geller Inkwell Waterproof Gel Liner, Yu-Be Moisturising Skin Cream, Molton Brown Valbonne fragrance, RMK Cleansing Balm, Sanctuary 30 Day Thermal Transformation Mask and a heart-shaped tin of Lindt chocolates.


Body lotion again, groan! Seeing this was part of the reason why I decided to give up Birchbox for a while. Month after month I receive samples of body creams and I've now got so many, I don't know where to start! That being said, this does smell very nice and the added Argan oil does interest me... we've pretty much all used it on our hair, but this is the first of it I've seen in a body lotion!


Now, I've never owned or used a gel eyeliner in my life, was I was pleased to see this in the box. I'm not entirely sure where I'm meant to start with it but I'm looking forward to giving it a go. The promise of it being waterproof gives me high hopes for this eyeliner, that and when swatched on the back of my hands it seems to be quite well pigmented. There's also a brush included in the lid, which is a nice touch.


Here we go again! I never get on with the samples of face creams that are forever included in beauty boxes, and unfortunately this one was no exception. It claims to be good for very dry skin and also for lips, which I tried and it tastes horrible! I also tried it on my face and it was too oily for me. However, it did work well on my elbows and knees, and with it being such a small sample I will be using this up quickly.


Normally I'm not keen on fragrance samples in beauty boxes, but I was excited to try this one. Having only ever tried Molton Brown's bath/shower gels and hand/body creams, I was curious to see how this held up and I was not disappointed. With top notes of mandarin and orange flower, a heart note of rose and base notes of vetiver and leather, this is actually a unisex scent that both me and Martin really enjoy.


This was a new sort of product for me and I was intrigued! This is a rose-scented cleansing balm that claims to remove all make up in one application. It is solid to start off with, melting into an oil when massaged onto the skin, which you then rinse off with warm water. I have tried this and it did leave a slight 'film' on my skin afterwards, but it worked well and otherwise left my skin feeling soft and smooth.


Face masks are always something I enjoy, so this was another welcome product. However, this is the first one I've had where it is a two step process, and going by the packaging's description I'm guessing that this is aimed at more mature skin - not that it'd stop me from trying it. Apparently this is a "warming" face mask, which sounds right up my street as I love to feel a product working!


Last but not least are some chocolates from Lindt. In the tin were four of their classic milk chocolate truffles, which I scoffed all by myself! As I've said previously, I do enjoy little lifestyle extras in boxes and it's hard to turn your nose up at some yummy chocolates. I'm assuming these were included to give/share with your mum (Sorry mum!), but to me these would have been more appropriate for a Valentine's box.

All in all, this was quite a good box and I think I'll enjoy the majority of the products from this month's offering. Usually though, I have a stand-out favourite product from each month's box, and this month I can't honestly say that one is a particular favourite. But on the other hand, there isn't one I really dislike either so I guess it's a nice, well-rounded box to end my subscription with. I'm glad that I got this box as my last one, or I would have been really disappointed!

I have decided to make this month's box my last for a couple of reasons. First, I can't really afford to be spending £12.95 a month on products that are not going to be used, or end up being donated to friends/family. For the same money, I can keep buying the products that I know work well for me and try new things as I find them. Second, I am now overrun with beauty samples and I'm making an active effort to use them all up. If I keep getting a new box every month I'll never finish everything! I do genuinely want to try a good percentage of the products I have received from beauty boxes, but rotating them into my daily routine is difficult when new ones are making a very regular appearance.

For now, I have cancelled my subscription, and I don't think I'll be renewing it. I have really enjoyed getting beauty boxes, and when I just started getting into beauty they were exactly the sort of thing I was looking for. Now that I have found what works for me and what doesn't, I feel informed enough to make my own decision with products - products that I'm not necessarily going to receive in these boxes. I have found some of my favourite products from JolieBox/Birchbox over the months, and because of that I'm still happy to recommend them to friends when they ask where I get all of these products from! So thank you Birchbox, and I wish the company the best of luck for the future.

 

Related Posts

2 comments

  1. This box is pretty good. The rmk cleanser sounds lovely. I have unsubscribed too, the previous box was too disappointing. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's quite nice but not my cup of tea to be honest! x

      Delete