Review: bareMinerals Get Started Complexion Kit in 'Fairly Light'

March 29, 2015

As you may remember from my "Face of the Day" post a couple of weeks ago, my go-to foundation these days is the bareMinerals Original Foundation in Fairly Light. I started using it several months ago on the recommendations of the girls I work with, and since I took the plunge and bought the full size foundation, it's all I've been wearing! However, I struggle with wearing it on my t-zone, as it breaks down and looks cakey very quickly. Trust me when I say that it's not a good look! I'd heard that the Matte version of the foundation is a good alternative for those with oily skin, but didn't want to splash out on a full size in case I didn't like it. So, when this new Complexion Kit started hitting stores, I knew I had to get my hands on it!

bareMinerals Get Started Complexion Kit in Fairly Light review
bareMinerals Get Started Complexion Kit in Fairly Light review

bareMinerals have released several "Get Started" kits in their time, but I think that this one is their best offering yet. The previous incarnations have included two shades of the Original Foundation (e.g. Light and Fairly Light), which always seemed a little odd to me. Once you'd been matched to your perfect shade, why would you want another one? I suppose you could argue that one could be for summer and the other for winter, but often the shades offered differed only in colour undertones, rather than darker or lighter shades. However, with this kit you not only get the Original Foundation (2g) in your shade, but a matching Matte foundation (1.5g) too. This I feel works much better, as you can choose your finish depending on the day, or even use the two formulas on different areas of skin. Also included is a Prime Time Original Primer (15ml), Warmth All-Over Face Colour (0.57g), Mineral Veil Finishing Powder (0.75g) and a Flawless Application Face Brush, all in a keep-sake makeup clutch.

bareMinerals Original Foundation in Fairly Light and Flawless Application Face Brush
bareMinerals Get Started Complexion Kit Mineral Veil

Even though the foundation sizes are one quarter of the size, this is quite enough to give you a good go at using the products and see whether you like them enough to purchase again in the future. Think of it as a deluxe sample size, if you will. Seeing as I know that I already like the Original formulation, the one in this kit goes away with me when I stay over at Martin's, or if I go on holiday in the future. I wasn't sure whether the smaller sizes would feature the "click-lock" system in the packaging, meaning that I can transport it with no spills. It turns out that these ones do, which I was very pleased about, but I was disappointed to find that the Mineral Veil and Warmth do not. I was hoping to keep the Mineral Veil with me for on-the-go touch ups, but seeing as it has no way of sealing itself other than the lid, it's not really possible. The Prime Time Original Primer is actually a very good size, as you only need less than a pea-sized amount for your entire face. This means that this tube will last me for a very long time! I love this primer for smoothing the texture under my eyes when nothing else has worked; annoyingly, I forgot to apply it for the picture below, but it really helps with that uneven texture.

bareMinerals Original Foundation Fairly Light on skin

I've included a close-up, non-retouched image above, so you can see how the Original Foundation and Mineral Veil looks on my skin. Considering that most people would never be this close to me, hopefully you will agree that it looks pretty good! The shade match is pretty much perfect for my skin, and is the only foundation I've found that covers my redness and other imperfections, whilst still looking natural. I have to admit that I do not use the Flawless Application Face Brush, instead preferring my Real Techniques Buffing Brush. The Flawless brush is not dense enough for me, meaning that I can never really get the amount of coverage and airbrushed finish that I'm looking for. However, I've found it to be an excellent brush to apply the Mineral Veil with; because the bristles are so soft and light, it applies the perfect amount of product to wear over the foundation. All in all, this kit is the perfect one to buy if you are looking to get started into bareMinerals, as it has everything you need - although I would recommend a different brush. The fact that it comes in a cute, reusable case that you can keep these products (and others in) is an added bonus, and also means that it would be great for travellers!

bareMinerals Get Started Complexion Kit is available online and at counters for £39

Related Posts

Leave a comment