Dorshi at Trinity Kitchen, Leeds (February 2015)

February 17, 2015

Where do you go in Leeds, when you want a unique meal to eat but don't know exactly what? Trinity Kitchen, that's where! Since it came to life back in October 2013 (Gosh, has it really been that long?), I've had the pleasure of investigating what latest street food is on offer several times now. The last one memorable enough that it warranted a blog post all of its own was The Cheese Truck in May 2014, although honorable mentions must go to Meat Wagon and KerbEdge for their excellent burgers. Martin, for one reason or another managed to come across the latest listing for Trinity Kitchen recently, and discovered a happy surprise - Dorshi were coming back to Leeds! If the name sounds familiar, then you may have read my post about the British Street Food Awards from last year, which is where we first came across them. I really, really enjoyed their dumplings and remember thinking at the time that it was a shame that I'd probably never get to try them again. So, as you can imagine, when I heard that they were back for a longer run this time around, I couldn't get to Trinity Kitchen fast enough!

Organic Udon Noodles Meal from Dorshi at Trinity Kitchen, Leeds February 2015

So, was Dorshi as good as I remembered? Oh god, yes. I think I will go as far to say that it was even better this time around! There was a slightly different menu and price points at Trinity Kitchen, so even though there were some flavours that I'd had before, I also had the exciting opportunity to try some new ones. There were five flavours on offer: Pork, Leek & Ginger, Pork & Black Pudding, Shiitake Mushroom & Kale-Miso, Field Mushroom & Dorset Red Cheddar and Chicken, Lime & 4 Pepper. At the British Street Food Awards I had tried the Pork & Black Pudding and Field Mushroom & Dorset Red Cheddar, but the rest were new to me. Me and Martin were extremely hungry, so we decided to go for one of their meal deals for £10 each, which came with a choice of any five dumplings. Well, it would have been rude to not go for once of each, right? So that's exactly what I did! I decided to try the Organic Udon Noodles meal, which came with thick-cut noodles, chard-soy-sesame dressing, pickled purple cabbage, crispy onions, spring onions, sesame seeds and optional chilli. Martin opted for two Pork & Black Pudding and three Chicken, Lime & 4 Pepper with his Loaded Curly Fries meal, which consisted of curly fries, salt & Dorshi 5 spice blend, pickles, pickled mustard seeds, black rice vinegar, hoisin, yuzu mayonaise and optional chilli.

Dumpling from Dorshi at Trinity Kitchen, Leeds February 2015

I can't think of a time when I've had Udon noodles before, and now I'm wondering where they've been all my life! They were incredibly thick, and because they were cold, they provided an excellent contrast with the hot dumplings. All of the toppings did sound a bit too much but actually, everything stood out in it's own way. The hoisin sauce in particular must get a special mention, because Martin exclaimed that it was "So thick, that it tastes like treacle!" - and I had to agree. As for the dumplings... where do I start? The wheat pastry, in combination with the fillings, leant themselves to creating the most incredible melt-in-your-mouth texture on the inside, but the fried dumplings in particular had a wonderful crispy edge, giving an unexpected crunch. It was all about the balance with our dishes, and Dorshi got it just right - not only with the textures, but with the flavours and sides too. I am genuinely struggling to pick a favourite flavour as I enjoyed each of them so much, but if push came to shove I would go with the Shiitake Mushroom & Kale-Miso; the intense and distinctive taste of the mushroom really shone through and I couldn't get enough of it. With Martin's dish, I wasn't sure how curly fries and dumplings would work as it was a unusual combination, but lo and behold it did. The seasoning, with the salt and 5 spice blend, was the star of the show and he even enjoyed the mayonnaise, thanks to the citrus fruit kick.

Bottles of Asahi beer from Dorshi at Trinity Kitchen, Leeds February 2015

Dorshi, along with the rest of the street food vendors (Check them out here) will be in Trinity Kitchen until 22nd March. I fully intend to go back again to have their dumplings one last time before they had back down to Dorset and I wholeheartedly recommend that you do too! Their prices are more than what I'd usually pay for something equivalent elsewhere, but I believe that in this case that you really do get what you pay for. The quality of the food is excellent, and I think you would be hard pushed to find tastier dumplings with such imaginative fillings in Leeds at the moment! Their dishes are also prepared fresh right in front of you, and the waiting time is very reasonable considering this. My only criticism is that they only offered one type of beer, Asahi, but did have an interesting selection of ciders, which might be more to other people's tastes. I really hope that I will cross paths with Dorshi again in the future - if they don't come back to Leeds, then I might have to make a trip to Dorset and hunt them down!

Related Posts

4 comments

  1. Oh I am so jealous! It looks so good :) I think the Chicken, Lime & 4 Pepper would be my choice xx
    LemondaidLies | Lifestyle & Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fantastic! Really recommend x

      Delete
  2. I love Trinity Kitchen so much, the atmosphere and food is great! I will have to check out Dorshi for sure, especially as they're there until the 22nd of March!

    http://shebearacharmedlife.blogspot.co.uk/

    Love Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too! I need to go more often. x

      Delete