Yankee Candle Wax Tarts October/November 2013 Review

November 25, 2013

You may remember at the beginning of October, I bought a selection of ten Autumn/Winter Yankee Candle wax tarts to burn over the next couple of months. Believe it or not I have now tried all of them, and I mentioned that I would review them so I will. A general point to make about the wax tarts overall - I've been extremely impressed with their quality. In the vast majority of cases, the throw has been fantastic and the scents have lasted for over eight hours each - more than I was expecting. They work out to be excellent value for money (Especially if you buy in bulk) and I will link the seller I bought these from at the end of the post. Now, there have been some definite loves and hates amongst the collection so without further ado - let's get started!

Yankee Candle wax tarts review Autumn Winter 2013

November Rain
A quiet interlude of the season is reflected in this airy, refreshing mix of watery leaf notes, warm amber and crisp, brisk air.

I was really looking forward to trying this scent, but nothing could have prepared me for what hit me when it started to melt - it smelt like men's aftershave! Very fresh and light but definitely masculine, which I didn't get from the description at all. It's not suited for my personal taste but it would be perfect in any man's room - it's not overpowering at all, just nice and refreshing.

Lake Sunset
The serene beauty of the sun's golden rays as they dip into still blue waters, calling to mind the musky descent of nightfall.

I was disappointed in this one. It did have a musky, floral scent, but the throw wasn't fantastic and it didn't feel like anything special. It's a very, very soft scent, traditional and definitely comforting - I think it reminds me of a scent my mum used to wear. Not suited perhaps to a younger audience but one I would definitely consider buying for someone a little older than myself.

Vanilla Chai
It's the perfect accompaniment to "me" time - a supremely satisfyingly rich and spicy recipe of ginger, cinnamon and vanilla.

This was one of the strongest of the lot, and definitely an acquired taste. It was spicy, rich and warm - an Autumn/Winter fragrance if I ever saw one! It lasted for about twelve hours, so longer than normal and the scent would often linger the next day. I'm not sure that I like it - it's a step out of my comfort zone for me but I'm very glad to have tried it; it smells unlike anything I've ever smelt before.

Salted Caramel
Sweet surrender is yours with our luscious gourmand confection of burnt sugar, sea salt and smooth vanilla caramel.

My absolute favourite (Tied with another below), and for good reason. This was the first one I tried out of them all and when I say that it smelt good enough to eat - boy, did it! Some people have said that they can't smell the saltiness but I could - it had a slight tang to the fragrance, which prevented it from being too sweet and sickly. This one lasted for over sixteen hours, which was very impressive!

Candy Corn
The familiar, sweet scent of candy corn is a fond reminder of Halloween fun and treats.

I love the smell of candy corn, and this captured the scent absolutely perfectly. It wasn't particularly strong like I was expecting, it was light and just enough to scent a room. It smelt very sweet, and might not be everyone's cup of tea for being so but I thoroughly enjoyed it. This one would be perfect to burn if kids are going to be around as they will love it! I will be buying this again next Halloween.

Witches Brew
The spicy sweet aroma of exotic patchouli casts a captivating spell!

Whereas I loved the previous Halloween tart, I absolutely could not stand this. I wasn't sure that I liked the scent of patchouli and it turns out I don't! It's difficult to describe why I don't like it but like Vanilla Chai, it's a very acquired taste. It captures the spirit of Halloween well and has a good throw, so do try it if you can - but perhaps give it a good sniff or two before purchasing in case you really dislike it like I do!

Yankee Candle wax tarts review Autumn Winter 2013

Home Sweet Home
A heartwarming blend of cinnamon, baking spices, and a hint of freshly poured tea.

The scent that hit home straight away with this one was the cinnamon; a scent that I love and when mixed with other spices, smells absolutely divine. This had a hint of sweetness to it that prevented it from being too sharp, as cinnamon can sometimes be. It wasn't quite sweet enough for me though, and I didn't get any tea scent whatsoever - it was probably overpowered by the cinnamon.

Fireside Treats
The joys of camp... mesmerised by the fire, singing and laughing, while toasting marshmallows to rich, gooey perfection!

This is the other one that is my absolute favourite; I have to admit that it's hard for me to pick between the two. Sweet scents are definitely my thing and this hits the spot perfectly. It has a touch of smokiness but the unmistakeable scent of marshmallows still comes through very strongly. Another one that smells good enough to eat! This also lasted for about sixteen hours - another repurchase.

Blissful Autumn
Reminiscent of crisp autumn air with orchard fruit breezes… blissfully brisk and woody.

I was expecting apples and pears with this one, and I was right. However, it was a bit sweeter than I was anticipating and I think it definitely has a sugary note somewhere; it smells almost like apple crumble. However, it is crisp and the fruit notes smelt incredibly realistic. It's quite a complex scent; I did catch a woody note which helped to bring it all together. To me, this is what autumn smells like.

Cranberry Ice
Refreshingly tart and sweet! A cool, stimulating rush of frosty red fruits bursting with a tangy sweetness.

This is actually a repurchase of sorts from last year; I had the medium tumbler, and remembered really enjoying it so I bought a wax tart to relive the scent again. This is so wonderfully sharp; there's almost a menthol note and it really allows the cranberry scent to freshen the room. It doesn't smell sweet at all, almost sour and all the better for it. It's a very cooling scent and easy to like.

Rainwashed Berry
Rainwashed Berry will fill your home with an invigorating burst of sweet summer berries blossoming from a rich cherry centre.

I picked this up as part of the autumn range at Asda, but I'm tempted to say that it is more of a summer scent. It reminds me of a summer storm in a forest, which sounds very poetic but hopefully you get what I mean. The scent is very pure - it literally smells like someone's squeezed a handful of berries and waved them in front of your nose! I can definitely smell the cherry, which I wasn't expecting.

Merry Berry
Merry Berry will fill your home with a spirited, spiced blend of sweet red berries. Cheers!

Whereas the previous smelt very fresh, this one smelt almost like a pot pourri, which isn't a bad thing. It's spicier and richer, with a alcoholic twist to it - think of wine and you're nearly there. It also reminded me of a cocktail; I couldn't pinpoint which one, but that scent became more intensified as it melted. I might try this one again from Asda - it's quite unusual and not your average berry scent.

Sunlight on Snow
Sunlight on Snow will fill your home with a bright, fresh and beautiful mix of white musk and sandalwood.

This one claims to have musk and sandalwood, and I'd completely agree with that - in particular, the musk note was definitely leading the way. It disappointed me by not being very strong or fresh; with a name such as this I expected a light yet mellow scent and I didn't really get that at all. Its throw was quite lacking compared to all the others, I could barely smell it at all and seemed to only last for about four hours.

I bought all of these either from this eBay listing (10 for £10.50) or from Asda Living (Wax tarts are not available online, however they were £1 each in store).

 

Related Posts

Leave a comment