|

Birchbox February 2013

February 19, 2013

It feels like my January Birchbox only came a few days ago! I only got around to putting the items away and recycling the box last week and before I know it, another one lands on my doorstep. I'm not complaining though, it did give me a nice - if not unexpected - surprise and I was eager to dig in! Click the link below to find out what I got in this month's box.



The box in itself is exactly the same as January's - I was expecting some sort of Valentine theme but maybe Birchbox don't do themed boxes as such? The only major difference I noticed this time around was that the outer box was sealed with tape this month - last month it was not and the postie could very well have helped himself should he so wished! The theme this month was not Valentines but London Fashion Week, with a box full of "hero products ready to rev up your beauty routine". In the box are four generous samples, a lifestyle extra and beauty extra, which are Nick Chavez Beverly Hills Plump N'Thick Leave-In Thickening Mist, Vichy Thermal Spa Water, Korres Guava Shower Gel, Gerda Spillmann Bio Fond Cream Foundation, EBOOST Natural Energy Booster and a Birchbox eyelash curler.


I was surprised by the size of this bottle... you wouldn't think that it's only 50ml! I was pleased to see a product like this in the box, my hair does tend to look limp towards the end of the day. I've incorporated this into my routine already; using it as directed by spraying it into towel-dried hair before blow drying. I can say that this does help boost volume and doesn't leave any residue in my hair that I can see - result!


At first I wasn't sure what this was... a toner, refreshing mist, what? Turns out it is a multi-purpose product that not only does those two things, but can set make up as well. I have to say that before this I had never used any product like this before, so I'm glad that I've now got the opportunity to try it! This spa water claims to help reinforce the skin's barrier, leaving it soothed, hydrated and replenished.


Normally I would say that I'm sick to the back teeth of shower gel samples but I surprisingly really like the look of this! I have heard of Korres before, but never tried anything from them. I love the design of the packaging, it looks like something you would find in a really posh hotel or a spa! I'll be saving this for my trip to London in March but this smells absolutely gorgeous, I can't wait to use it.


Ooh, foundation... a bold move from Birchbox I think. With so many skintypes out there I can see where for many this would be a downside to the box. Inside the packaging is a little black compact, with a cream-to-powder foundation and mirror in the top, and a round sponge for application underneath. I really like the sound of this product but the shade is too dark for me - so I'll have to find another home for it!


I like this! I know a lot of you probably don't relish in the idea of an energy supplement in a beauty box, but as an extra I have to say that I approve. I have actually already had this - on Sunday, when I had to go to work after going out on Saturday night! This is a powder that, when mixed with water, made a full pint's glass worth of drink that was surprisingly tasty. It was certainly what I needed and was a nice treat.


I wondered if Birchbox were going to carry on the line of self-branded products, and it didn't take them long did it? I don't mind the idea at all - if, like the above, they are included as an extra and not a sample. Like most of you I imagine I already have a set of eyelash curlers, but these seem like quite good quality so I'm not sure what to do! I might pass them on to somebody at work rather than let them go to waste.

Overall I'm quite impressed with this month's Birchbox. Like mentioned towards the beginning of the post, I feel that these were generous sized samples and I enjoyed this month's extras too. As usual with boxes that I enjoy, there was a good mix of brands I hadn't and had heard of, and even with the ones I'd heard of I had yet to try their products, so that is always a positive. This sets the standard pretty high for future boxes - keep it up, Birchbox!

 

Related Posts

Leave a comment