Autumn/Winter Knitwear with Matalan

September 28, 2016

I don't know about you, but I am totally ready for the colder months. Don't get me wrong, I love a bit of sunshine, but this summer it has been unbearably humid - even up here in Yorkshire - and I, for one, am glad to leave it behind. Bring on the cosy winter nights, snuggled up in as many layers as I can manage and sipping a delicious hot drink! I've always enjoyed autumn/winter fashion more than summer's, and this year is no exception. Knitwear is something that I have an awful lot of in my autumn/winter wardrobe, as I like to layer up when I can. There's nothing like the unpredictable British weather; one minute it's freezing cold and cloudy, the next it's cracking the flags! As such, layering is a good option as it allows for these ever-changing conditions. It's around this time of year that I put my summer clothing away, and bring out the autumn and winter pieces - so, when Matalan got in touch with me about featuring their new range of knitwear, it really couldn't have been better timed! Read on to find out more about the collection, and what pieces I have chosen from the range.

Autumn/Winter Knitwear with Matalan
Papaya Curve Patterned Knitted Kimono from MatalanPapaya Curve Patterned Knitted Kimono from Matalan

Before we go into the clothing, I just wanted to point out how difficult it was for me to choose just a couple of items! If you've been reading my blog for a while, you will know that I love Matalan and have done for years. My mum used to shop there very regularly, and sometimes if I was with her whilst out shopping, I would go into a store with her and have a browse around. What I love about Matalan is that they have come a long way in the last few years, and have really upped their game in terms of following the current trends. I used to think of Matalan as being a safe option, good for basics, but not much else. Now, they have beautiful statement pieces that look a lot more expensive than they are (such as this jacket - isn't the print stunning?), and are excellent quality too. Some of my favourite clothing over the years has come from Matalan - this dress is one of them - and I can see myself shopping there for years to come. Now, one of my favourite autumnal pieces from Matalan is a tan and burgundy checkered shawl, that I love to wear over one of my many burgundy jumpers. The problem is, it only looks good with said jumpers, and this year I was going to keep my eye out for a black or grey one that would work with everything. Enter this Papaya Curve Patterned Knitted Kimono*, priced at just £22.

Autumn/winter outfit featuring knitwear from Matalan
Papaya Curve Patterned Knitted Kimono from MatalanAutumn/winter outfit featuring the Papaya Curve Patterned Knitted Kimono from Matalan

As soon as it arrived, I knew I was onto a winner. The fabric is thick and luxuriously soft; perfect for snuggling up in and protecting yourself from the cold, harsh winds. I wanted something with shorter 'sleeves', as longer ones tend to annoy me after a while and I end up shoving them up past my elbows anyway. If I want longer sleeves for the colder weather, I like having the option to wear them underneath - like I'm doing here. I love the print of this kimono; it's bold enough for it to be recognisable as a pattern, but the subdued tones of grey and black stop it from being too intense, and making your eyes hurt when you look at it! Of course it goes with black, but I know that it will also go with the more colourful pieces in my wardrobe too (the model on the website is wearing it with a burgundy top and it looks lovely). Now, the only downside to this item is that is part of their plus-size range, meaning that it is not available to anyone smaller than an 18. Now, I am an 18 so this works perfectly for me, but I have found a not too dissimilar one (although it is more white than grey) in their regular range that might tickle your fancy if you're smaller than I. This is one of those pieces that I know I will wear to death over the next few months, and I'm so pleased that I finally have a staple layering piece like this in my wardrobe.

Falmer V Neck Jumper from MatalanFalmer V Neck Jumper from Matalan
Autumn/winter outfit with Matalan

As well as layering pieces, I also like to collect jumpers - it's quite frankly embarrassing, how many I have stowed away. Usually, I will choose a lighter style, with a longer length, so I actually have only one or two "regular" jumpers. When I spotted this Falmer V Neck Jumper*, £20, online, I fell in love with it straight away. Not only is it burgundy, but it is unlike any other jumper that I own because it has a v-neck. All of my jumpers are either roll-neck or rounded, so I was looking forward to introducing this option to my wardrobe. As it turned out, this style of neckline is actually quite flattering for me; because I have a bigger bust, it prevents me from looking too top heavy. It also allows me to wear a pretty necklace with it should I want to, but isn't so low-cut that I'll have all manner of breezes blowing in and making me cold. I can still wear this with a scarf when the weather does take a turn for the worse, so this is a win-win all around. The only thing I wasn't so sure about were the ties on each side. My hips are the widest part of my body and as such I don't like to draw attention to them, but I needn't have worried. The ties are quite subtle, and because they are the same colour as the jumper, they're not really very noticeable. I have come to like this detail since wearing it; it makes the piece a little more unique.

Autumn/winter knitwear from MatalanAutumn/winter outfit featuring the Falmer V Neck Jumper from Matalan
Falmer V Neck Jumper from MatalanAutumn/Winter knitwear from Matalan

Despite not being as longer length as I would usually go for, this is actually pretty much spot-on for me. It's long enough to drape over the bits I'd rather people didn't see, but it doesn't drown me either. Again, like the kimono, the fabric is lovely and soft and not scratchy at all. I only wore a vest top underneath this, but I didn't have any problems at all - and I would be quite happy to wear it on its own if needs be. I adore the flecked detail on the fabric, as for me this is a truly traditional autumn/winter design. If it was one solid colour, I think it would look too blocky and not be particularly flattering, especially as the fabric is really quite thick. I did actually get a bit warm in this jumper once me and Martin had made it back home after taking the pictures, so this is definitely one that I will be getting out again a little later in the year! Again, I got this in a size 18 and it fits perfectly; it is extremely comfortable and has quite a bit of stretch, but not so much that it looks baggy and shapeless. Now that I've got one jumper like this, I've got my eye on a couple more; I especially love this colour block one and for Christmas, this little star print number. If you're looking for some style inspiration for this autumn/winter, check out Matalan's Knitwear Guide and get a sneak peek of what's to hit the shelves over the coming months!

Related Posts

2 comments

  1. I love Matalan, they've got some great bits in this season - can't wait to go shopping! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too - I've got my eye on a few of their pieces this season!

      Delete